A blog for innovative, unabashed and delightful cocktails. All posted recipes are my original creations. Check out the links for other quality sites that review both classic and hard-to-find recipes from other sources.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beefeaters, Bludgeons and Maidens




























When I twisted open a new bottle of Beefeater gin, my thoughts ran to an icy cool, shimmering, dry martini -- and I was not disappointed. Beefeater struck a satisfying balance between botanicals and dryness at a time when gins at both extremes of the spectrum are making their appearance.


Perhaps out of habit, I tend to think of gin as a fall and winter drink. Rum generally commands my summer shaker, but I needed to explore. Even the reggae radio station chided me by adding "Gin and Coconut Water" to its rotation. So, I slipped out of the current and tried some Beefeater in a tropical cocktail. The result was the Bludgeon, a spicy and citrusy cocktail of, yes, blue gin.


Bludgeon


2 oz gin (I used Beefeater)
1 oz blue curacao
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/2 orange
1 oz ginger syrup


Shake ingredients together with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Consider garnishing with a sugared rim and a lemon rind.


The Bludgeon is akin to the Maiden's Prayer, a cocktail I find myself pouring at least once a week. Beefeater in hand, I pressed further on my course towards new and summery gin cocktails by trying some variations. These variations were particularly delightful:


Twists on the Maiden's Prayer

Basic Recipe

1 1/2 oz gin (I used Beefeater)
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice

Shake ingredients together with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

The Twists

Add a mere splash of peach schnapps or orange flower water
Pool pomegranate syrup in the bottom of the glass
Garnish with a flamed orange rind or the barest sprinkle of orange water

1 comment:

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com