A blog for innovative, unabashed and delightful cocktails. All posted recipes are my original creations. Check out the links for other quality sites that review both classic and hard-to-find recipes from other sources.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

June's Surprise



The first Saturday morning after the close of the spring soccer season promised to be leisurely. A whole day without packing up and hustling to a field, a day to spend as I chose. I had planned a trip to the local farmers' market. When I woke, the weather was not exactly inviting -- dreary rain falling from a cool gray sky. However, I was determined, and braced myself with my trusty University of Kentucky ball cap and rain jacket.

The trip defied its dismal beginning. The clouds parted for a half hour, just enough time to make the rounds through the small oval of tents and stands. They held many of the usual early summer offerings -- berries, greens, squash, tomatoes. One tent stood out, though, because of its pints and pints of plump indigo berries -- black raspberries -- something I handn't seen at this market or any other in some time. Maybe I am too easily entertained, but I was thrilled. Their flavor was rich, sunny, sweet and extraordinary. I managed to save enough to garnish a cocktail that night, named for this unexpected delight. Of course it called for Chambord, and I paired it with bourbon and amaretto for complexity, along with a bit of citrus to tame the sweetness.






























June's Surprise

3 oz bourbon
1 oz amaretto
1/2 oz Chambord
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Shake ingredients together with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Consider a garnish of a sugared rim, some skewered black raspberries, or both.

Or, perhaps a quicker variation:

2 oz bourbon
1 oz Chambord
Blackberry soda (I used Izze)

Combine ingredients together in a highball glass with ice and stir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This drink is delicious and mellow, which seems a lot like the kind of morning you were having! As I sip this delightful surprise, I can just about imagine strolling through the market along with you. I can't wait to try the lighter version as well.