A blog for innovative, unabashed and delightful cocktails. All posted recipes are my original creations. Check out the links for other quality sites that review both classic and hard-to-find recipes from other sources.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bananas Foster Cocktail

Mixology Monday: New Orleans



Bananas Foster Cocktail

This month's Mixology Monday theme (thanks to Paul for hosting) has a New Orleans theme, apropos of course to the venue for Tales of the Cocktail. Sadly, my professional duties sent me to California last week instead. But my thoughts were still in the bayou.

For the past ten years or so I've always had one case or another in Louisiana. Once I went to New Orleans leading up to a settlement meeting. I had an unforgettable meal at Brennan's restaurant, from turtle soup to a tableside preparation of Bananas Foster. Many years later, I remember every bite of that dessert. This cocktail morphs the key flavors of Bananas Foster -- brown sugar, dark rum, bananas, cinnamon, cream -- into liquid form.

(By the way, we ended up with a sweet settlement.)

Salut!


Bananas Foster Cocktail

2 oz dark rum
1 oz banana liqueur
1 oz dark brown sugar syrup
1 oz cream

Shake ingredients together with ice and strain into a cocktail glass with a cinnamon-sugar rim garnish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I'm from nola (currently exiled in Chicago) and can't wait to try this. Just one suggestion: pour a thin layer of high-proof brandy or whatever you have around on top and light it up. Half the taste of BF is in watching it flame up tableside.