A blog for innovative, unabashed and delightful cocktails. All posted recipes are my original creations. Check out the links for other quality sites that review both classic and hard-to-find recipes from other sources.

Friday, October 19, 2007

My Irish Whiskey Education

A few weeks ago I took a business trip to Dublin. Until then, my experiences with Irish whiskey were decidedly limited. After all, why should a Kentucky guy like myself get distracted with Irish whiskey in the face of so many varieties of bourbon?

Then, at a dinner with some work colleagues, I had my first taste of Midleton Irish whiskey, and my perspective completely changed. My glass certainly had the base flavors of Irish whiskey, but with a unique floral layer that was not cloying at all. The hook was set. (Auditors, please note, that no whiskey showed up on my expense report.)

I made the crucial mistake of bypassing the duty free shop in the airport. Now I am relegated to finding a bottle here in the States for less than ... well, for less than I would admit to paying for a bottle of whiskey. I may have to enlist the aid of my colleagues in Ireland -- or just pay up to get another taste of Ireland.

Image from stock.xchng (http://www.sxc.hu/)

3 comments:

erik.ellestad said...

Red Breast is also quite good and significantly cheaper than Old Middleton.

Shawn said...

I will pick up a bottle next trip to the store -- thanks for the recommendation.

Deb said...

Hi Shawn, check out my cocktail post...I have a recipe for you. Yum!